background

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 30: Last Day in Colombia

Philip took the girls to the park this morning so I could rest (I'm not feeling so great).  We rejoiced with the other mom staying here as they got their SENTENCIA today for their baby girl.  We took a nice, LONG nap.  Philip went to the market to buy me a can of Campbell's chicken and rice (it was about $5, and so worth it).  We PACKED UP to begin our trek home in the morning!  And I had about 5 mugs of aromatica (mint tea). 

Our flight is not until 2:00, so it will be nice to not have to wake the girls in the wee hours.  We will leave for the airport about 10:30.  My wonderful parents are stocking our fridge and getting our house ready for us and then picking us up late tomorrow night at the airport.

Here are some things I am looking forward to getting back to:
  1. Consistently hot showers
  2. My laundry room (no dryer in Cali, and $20 per load in Bogota)
  3. My car
  4. Carseats
  5. Somewhat consistently observed traffic laws
  6. Coffee creamer
  7. Canned tomatoes and beans
  8. Football
  9. My king sized bed
  10. The ability to communicate with people around me
  11. Stroller-friendly sidewalks, stores, etc. (especially bad in Cali)
  12. My chiropractor
And some things I expect I will miss once home:
  1. Meals being prepared for me by the fabulous Juanita of Hotel Paris
  2. My laundry being done, even if it is $20 per load
  3. The fact that there are people on the sidewalks, in the stores, and just out and about all of the time.  We are so secluded in our SUV's and vans at home.
  4. Not having a smart phone.  It is liberating to not have access to social media all the time.
  5. Not having Philip home with me all the time!
  6. The fabulous parks of Bogota within walking distance
  7. Having Family Movie Night every night
I am so thankful that we have had this month in Colombia together to get to know each other and learn to be a family of four together.  Not having the distractions that will inevitably occur at home have been invaluable.  In a few days we will back to regular life.  I will be teaching on Sunday afternoon, and Philip plans to go back to work mid-week next week.  We will pick up with doctor's appointments, gymnastics practice, church, and all of the other things on our calendar.  But for this month, it was just the four of us focused on nothing other than playing and bonding.  It has been fabulous.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...