background

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Happy 5th, Caroline!


I cannot believe I have a FIVE year old. Good grief.

Whenever it is someone's birthday, Caroline's first question is, "What kind of birthday are you having?"  This translates to, "What character is on your cake?"  She has been asking since her fourth birthday to have a Mad Hatter Tea Party for her fifth, so we obliged. (She already has ideas for her sixth, and possibly her seventh). This girl is serious about her party themes.

I admit, I am a bit of a kid birthday party planning addict. I just enjoy putting it all together. This one was easy, because we already has so many girly items in fun, bright colors to pull together for a tea party. Pinterest is a wealth of inspiration (as well as a source of shame and self doubt) when it comes to party planning. Actually, some ideas were even original.  Believe it or not, those do still exist.

I should have insisted that all the kiddos (and parents) invited watch the movie as a prerequisite.  So much of the charm is lost on the Alice-uneducated crowd.

 

 

We kicked it off with a tea party, where we served "little girl tea" (a.k.a decaf), a cherry tea chosen by the birthday girl, along with lemonade for the non-tea-loving crowd.  I had purchased a mish mash of tea cups and saucers at a local thrift store, which later became the party favors for the guests.





 

 

The kids then participated in a Wonderland Relay, which consisted of:

Hopping like a bunny


Crawling through the Rabbit Hole


Finding the Key (hidden in bowl of rice)



Finding the Queen of Hearts


Flamingo Croquet (sans flamingo.  I tried to find a lawn flamingo, and several of my coastal friends and family offered theirs, but apparently none of my local friends are sufficiently tacky.)



We squeezed in a little lunch, and then it was time for cake and ice cream.  This is the first year that I didn't make Caroline's cake.  I have always enjoyed making them, but it sure was nice not having that on my to do list the day before the party.  I am learning as a mom to three littles to just let some stuff go.







The kids got to make their own Mad Hatter hats, which Caroline had been so excited about all week.  I don't have any pictures of the crafting because some Little Bit was hungry at the time, but I had three brave mommas offer to man glue guns. 


It was the present time, and we wrapped up the party with a little FaceTime with Nana and Grumpa and a  round of Pin the Smile on the Cheshire Cat.






The party crowd:



Ainsley slept through most of the hooplah.



The birthday girl snuggled up in bed in her new jammies, made by Mimi, with matching ones for her doll, Marie.








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...