background

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The "God Doesn't Give You More than You Can Handle" Lie

So many seem to find solace in telling or being told this.  I don't.  I had a friend (who has traveled her own difficult road recently) affirm to me that this is simply untrue. It indicates that whatever burden we are currently facing can and must rest on our shoulders.  Where is this in scripture?

Instead, I cling to these truths, many of which have been sent to me by precious friends over the past five days:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  II Corinthians 12:9
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Matthew 11:28
I lift my eyes up to the hills.  From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.  Psalm 121:1-2 
But now thus says the LORDhe who created you, O Jacob,he who formed you, O Israel:  “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.  For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."   Isaiah 43:1-3
And the word sent by my sweet friend Liz when we were adopting Luisa:
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." II Corinthians 9:8 
That is comfort to me.  He gives me grace to make it through, and to glorify Him while walking through whatever is in my path.

This morning, I read through the words I wrote in July of last year while struggling through our decision to adopt a child with special needs.  They ring so true today.

Finally, I realized that we CAN'T do this.
But God.
Of course. 
He is able.  In fact, His strength is made perfect in our weakness.
And then we were able to see clearly.  All of our doubts were really just opportunities to glorify Him. 

I pray that His grace abounds to me so that I am able to glorify Him in and through this and all circumstances that come my way. Friends, please keep the encouragement coming.

1 comment:

Christine said...

My mom always said to "Let go, and let God." And sometimes, that is all I can do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...