background

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Birthday Recap!

Taking a momentary break from blogging about our upcoming trip to post about a momentous event that occurred this month: Caroline's 4th birthday!


Our sweet baby girl is now a full blown kid.  It really did sneak up on me.  Spending my days with her is a hilarious adventure.  Love her to pieces.


If you've hung out with Caroline for more than two minutes at a time lately, she probably has assigned you a character to be.  The imaginative play stage is in full swing.  My role changes probably a dozen times throughout the day, and I am supposed to keep up with who I am and stay in character.  The first two things out of her mouth in the morning usually are, "Can I have some juice?" and "I'm ____, you're _____, and Daddy's _____."  A lot of times Luisa and Ellie and Maggie (the dogs) are assigned roles too.  Those blanks can be filled in a myriad of ways.  Andy/Andy's mommy/Andy's daddy, Jane/Wendy-all-growed-up/Peter Pan, baby tiger/mommy tiger/daddy tiger, etc.  


We had her check up today at the doctor.  We love our pediatrician.  As soon as Dr. Dudgeon walked in the door, Caroline said, "I'm a bear, and you're the bear's doctor."  He laughed and played along.  He said to me, "You know, imaginative play is a better indicator of intelligence at this age than traditional academic standards."  That settled it in my mind.  She's a genius.  She may not know all of her letters (although she did recently conquer counting to twenty without skipping 16), but she can imagine ALL DAY LONG.

By the way, she has finally hit 30 pounds.  I don't know Luisa's weight yet, but I'm willing to bet it's going to feel like carrying a ton of bricks after toting around this tiny thing.  And she's gaining in the height area; she's 41 inches (75th percentile).

On to the festivities:

We had her birthday party together with her little friend Sophie, who was turning two.  They had a Peter Pan themed party, complete with matching pirate ship shirts. 





On Caroline's actual birthday, she got to pick the activities and meals for the day.  She chose oatmeal for breakfast, a stop at a consignment sale to spend her $5 of birthday money (which bought her a Handy Manny and a princess carriage), a trip on the carousel at the mall, pancakes for lunch (which was eaten at her little table that I carried into the kitchen "for a special treat"), and Chuck E. Cheese for dinner.   Happy birthday to our sweet Caroline!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...