background

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ready for a Sister!


Caroline: "I bet Luisa will like to play with me."

Me: "Yeah, like maybe playdoh."

Caroline: "Or mean stuff, like Captain Hook.  Luisa can be Smee, since she's littler than me.  I'll be Captain Hook."

This little girl is so ready to go get her sister.  Ever since we told her about Luisa, she has been asking, "Can we go get her TODAY? But WHEN?"

When we sent our letter of intent to adopt Luisa in February, our agency and we thought that we would certainly be with her by her birthday in June.  We took time to celebrate with a sundae bar at my parents' lake house with all the cousins.   


Caroline often makes observations like, "There are one-two-three of us here.  When Luisa's here, there will be four.  She can sit right there (pointing to the empty chair at our kitchen table)."

Sometimes it's things like, "Luisa is a little bit darker than me.  She can still be my sister, though.  I'm a little bit lighter than you, and you are still my mommy."  I am thankful she has been around so many interracial adoptive families.  It doesn't seem the least bit odd to her that a child doesn't look like her mommy and daddy.  Adoption and birth are just two ways kids enter the home.

She already likes being the BIG sister.  She enjoys pointing out what she's big enough to do that Luisa may not be yet.  "I like to watch the scary part of movies.  Luisa can't watch Peter Pan yet because it's too scary for her."   "Mommy, is Luisa big enough to play with this/ride this/do this?  I am."

She also has been great with our fundraising efforts.  She has been so patient and understanding (for a three year old, anyway) with the amount of time I had to put into the yardsale and making hair bows.  She knows it's all for Luisa.  She even helped out at the yardsale by selling bottled water and chocolate covered pretzels.    I realized the other day that she is wanting to contribute more.  "Mommy, I'm collecting these rocks and sticks for Luisa."  If anyone is looking to purchase a pebble, she's your girl.  :)



Caroline's love language is most definitely quality time (as is mine).  She tells me several times daily, "Mommy, I like being with you."  It's her "I love you."  She looked at me recently and said, "Mommy, I miss Luisa."  Me, too, baby girl.  Me, too.


1 comment:

Shanan & Shannon said...

Didn't expect to cry when reading your blog tonight. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I can't wait for Caroline to meet her precious sister and for Luisa to be with her forever family. God is so good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...